The Mission of the Canaan Lake Association is to promote the conservation of Canaan Street Lake and areas immediately surrounding it, to protect their beauty and recreational value. To accomplish this, we:
- Operate the Lake Host and Weed Watcher programs to prevent the spread of invasive species
- Conduct water quality testing and reporting of results to members and the Town
- Sponsor educational activities and distribute information on watershed protection, boating safety laws, etc.
- Provide a forum where residents of the area can become acquainted and can discuss the problems and opportunities of the Canaan Street Lake area.
- Facilitate communication with the Town of Canaan and other government agencies.
- Support, with approval of Members, aesthetics, recreation, environment, water quality, and conservation advocacy groups in New Hampshire.
The origins of the Association are lost in the mists of time. While the oldest Articles of Agreement are dated July 1964, the Internal Revenue Service records show the Association was registered as a non-profit 401(c)(4) in September 1942.
Its original name was “The Canaan Street Improvement Society” and its purpose was the planting, cultivation and protection of shade, ornamental and forest trees on Canaan Street as well as the promotion of the prosperity of the street.
This simple mission did not last long. In 1969 the Articles of Agreement were modified to change the name to “The Canaan Lake Association.” Its mission expanded to include the improvement and conservation of the bodies of water and the adjacent land of said bodies situated in Canaan, Grafton County, NH, with particular emphasis on that body of water in Canaan , formerly called Hart’s Pond, and also Crystal Lake, and now known as Canaan Street Lake.
In 2012, a second amendment was made to the Articles of Agreement in which the mission was limited to Canaan Street Lake and its watershed rather that all of the water bodies in Canaan.
The Canaan Lake Association meets annually in July. View photos of past events here.
In accordance with current CDC guidance for community organizations during the COVID-19 emergency, the Canaan Lake Association’s annual Business Meeting was held VIRTUALLY on Saturday July 17, 2021 from 10:30 to 11:00 AM. Members voted by paper ballots prior to the meeting. Draft minutes of the meeting are available at the link to the upper right on this page.